About CFPB Kolkata Unit:
It was in the year 1897 that the first Finger Print Bureau of the world was set up in Calcutta (now Kolkata). Since then there has been tremendous advancement in the field of Finger Print Science with the advent of indigenous Automated Finger Print Identification System.
The Central Finger Print Bureau (CFPB) came into existence in the year 1955 in Calcutta (now Kolkata), West Bengal, under the administrative control of Intelligence Bureau.The administrative control of CFPB was shifted to Central Bureau of
Investigation (CBI)in 1973, and since July, 1986, this has been under the administrative control of NCRB.
About CFPB Kolkata Unit (Museum):
Since 1957, CFPB, Kolkata has developed a museum over the time. It has a collection of many ancient, historic documents, photographs and instruments related to fingerprint science and works. Some notable collections are as follows –
- A state document with the impression of Shahajahan’s ‘Panja’ and seal (Royal HAND)
- A copy of the first agreement in the history made between William J. Herschel and Rajyadhar Konai made in Bengal in 1858 using fingerprints as the means of signature of personal identification. (Original of this agreement is kept in the London Museum)
- One photo frame having an authentic fingerprints and signature of Abraham Lincoln
- One photo frame showing Shri Salil Kumar Chatterjee, first Director of CFPB receiving Police and Fire Service medal from the then Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru
- Collection of some strange fingerprints
- One very old fingerprint comparator and three German made microscopes used in fingerprint examination works.
Fingerprint Museum at CFPB, Kolkata